We’re happy to offer tooth-coloured fillings to our Vancouver patients at Bay Dental. These fillings are designed to match your tooth colour and undetectable after they’ve been put in.
White fillings are made from a product that actually bonds to the tooth for a tight seal. Cosmetically, white fillings are stain-resistant and colour-matched to your natural tooth, making them almost invisible. These fillings also require less tooth preparation (or drilling) than amalgam or silver fillings.
Silver, metal fillings were the conventional practice until not so long ago. The amalgam was required for its strength and was known for its durability.
Arranging an examination is the very best method to figure out what fillings are best for you. Contact our Vancouver dental practice today to schedule your next appointment.
- Tooth coloured, making the fillings nearly invisible
- Less tooth preparation, meaning less drilling
- The filling bonds or binds to tooth surface
- Over time there is leakage and discolouration. Due to leakage there is a limited life span – usually 3-10 years.
- Sometimes creates sensitivity
- Subject to breakage because it is not a strong material, especially with larger fillings
- Difficult to create solid contact with neighbouring tooth leading to food impaction
- Lifespan can be 20-40 years
- Strong material that can be used for large fillings
- Solid contact with neighboring tooth, eliminating food impaction.
- Not aesthetic, due to silver colour
- Greater tooth preparation (drilling)
- Contain mercury