Every parent knows the struggle of getting kids to brush their teeth and floss. Unfortunately, this isn’t one of those “lose the battle, win the war” situations – teeth need to get brushed and flossed. It’s of paramount importance to ensure your kids are doing everything they (and you!) can to make sure their teeth are as healthy as possible. Here are some tips to keep your child’s teeth in great condition:
1. Teeth with deep pits and fissures should be evaluated for the risk of developing a cavity. You can discuss this one of our dentists at Bay Dental, who will evaluate any potential for decay. If that potential is there, your child’s teeth should be sealed to ward off cavities.
2. It’s important to educate your child about plaque removal. Show them how to effectively brush and floss to remove plaque from their teeth, and areas of high plaque accumulation should be pointed out.
3. An evaluation should be made with your child’s dentist on an ongoing basis to ensure your child is accomplishing plaque removal. A dentist can best assess your child’s teeth and help you and your child develop good dental health habits that will last a lifetime.
4. Fluoride varnish should be applied to the teeth by a dental professional. If you’re not sure what this is or if your child is receiving this treatment, talk to your child’s dentist.
5. Ultimately, just like caring for adult teeth, your child’s dental health comes down to good brushing and flossing technique. We’re happy to help you with this – in fact, it’s our job. A dentist can show your child the best way to floss and brush their teeth.